Monday, December 9, 2013

Bunny Moon croons "It's Okay"

 “It’s Okay”
(A Lullaby to Yourself)

It’s okay
That feeling your feeling that never goes away.
You feel like a leaf in the wind -- lost and alone
But a woman-child will catch you before you land
And smile at the magic in her trembling hand.
It’s okay.
It’s okay.
It’s okay.

Champion animal rights and crusade against the nuke.
Cry alone in your bedroom, be Pete Townshend with a uke.
It’s okay to claim your sister is a bunny or a rat
And make your profile picture the family cat.
Write vulnerable songs you dare not share -- worry sometimes
If you’ll ever fit in, a smart woman in foolish times.

It’s okay
That feeling your feeling that never goes away.
You feel like a leaf in the wind -- lost and alone
But a woman-child will catch you before you land
And smile at the magic in her trembling hand.
It’s okay.
It’s okay.
It’s okay.

 

Origin:
I had written a version of these lyrics that just didn’t work. I was trying TOO hard and trying to be too big. I wrote an anthem. I tried to write “Blowing in the Wind” and it was AWFUL. But the image of being a leaf in the wind just worked so well. I knew I would use that somewhere. I also thought of the image of someone catching the leaf. Once again – just a simple clean image that is moving.
Recently I watched a profile of Herman’s Hermits and loved it. “No Milk Today” is an awesome song, but I didn’t know it was arranged by John Paul Jones who would go on to form Led Zeppelin with Herman’s Hermit’s session guitarist Jimmy Page. I also didn’t know that the Who were Herman’s Hermits opening act. Herman’s Hermits once DESTROYED a Holiday Inn, the management mistakenly blamed Keith Moon and banned the Who for life.
 It got me recalling a version of “Mrs. Brown You Have a Lovely Daughter,” sung by a woman. It is a more interesting song when sung by a woman. I keep imagining Mrs. Brown’s face – and Mrs. Brown had no idea what her lovely daughter had been up to -- until now.
I couldn’t find THAT version on Youtube, but I found Lynsey Moon a young woman who sings like Joan Baez and plays the electric ukulele like she is Pete Townshend. (You haven’t lived until you heard the Who sung by a woman in a bunny hat). Lynsey sits in her bedroom and uploads videos of herself doing sixties rock and obscure modern oddness as she pets her bunny and worries about how odd she is. She, of course, is magical. She reminds me of my wife, Kerry, so writing the lyrics came very easily. I also included a bit of my friends Nicole and Tippy in the lyrics…the cats and the rats…the rats and the cats. But then Kerry was a “Hello Kitty” girl herself.
The REAL Lynsey Moon can been found at: http://lynseymoon.bandcamp.com/
Or catch her being Lynsey at: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyerockeyeroll

No comments:

Post a Comment